Contributing to PrestaShop is not only about the code, it’s also about taking part in the PrestaShop translation project! This report tells you how the translations of the software evolved in December.
Happy new year
2018 is over, guys, let’s welcome 2019 with more accurate translations, higher levels of completion and many beautiful projects to work on. Mostly, I wish you all to be happy. And in order to greet 2019 with interesting thoughts, I would like to share a nice initiative from the translation community: Victor Frankenstein’s final report on the Arabic project. Read it, it is available here and it will sure help you with your own translation work!
Brazilian Portuguese is finally completed
After many months during which Brazilian Portuguese kept being translated by our wonderful team but lacked validation, I’m really happy to announce that it has finally reached 100%! It is great news as PrestaShop is growing more and more in Latin America (and therefore in Brazil), it means more merchants will benefit from a completely translated tool to run their business. Well done!
PrestaShop turns global again
Because it needed big changes, the translation page of the PrestaShop was set offline those past few months. From then on, we decided to rework its components so that it can be simpler for people to grasp in one-click the translation rates they are looking for. And there is now a clear distinction between the back office (= the administration) and the front office (= the store). It needs to be improved though, we are still working on tiny details that should be fixed soon, but have a look at it right here, and let us know what you think. ;-)
A few stats
- 54 members were active on the project this month.
- A total of 53,978 words have been translated and 31,489 validated.
- All this in 15 different languages.
Thank you for your involvement!
A lot of you are working every day on Crowdin to have PrestaShop available in many languages, and we can’t thank you enough for your dedication! Here are the most active translators and proofreaders for December 2018.
Top 10 translators in December:
- | prestashop_9331 | Arabic | 16,843
- | egume | Serbian (Latin) | 14,118
- | Rodrigo Laurindo (rblaurin) | Portuguese, Brazilian | 8,071
- | Goran Wihlgaard (Guranius) | Swedish | 3,257
- | Victor Frankenstein (Victor.Frankenstein) | Arabic | 2,519
- | Rivo Zängov (Eraser) | Estonian | 768
- | susanli3769 (emmali73) | Chinese Simplified | 768
- | Mikolaj Klimkiewicz (mklimkiew) | Polish | 734
- | Cha (cafetango) | Chinese Traditional | 712
- | Henry Wong (monkeyjr) | Chinese Traditional | 639
Top 10 proofreaders in December:
- | Rodrigo Laurindo (rblaurin) | Portuguese, Brazilian | 19,428
- | SeongHyeon Cho (jaymz9634) | Korean | 2,428
- | Patrik Lindblom (extendus) | Swedish | 1,581
- | Cha (cafetango) | Chinese Traditional | 1,304
- | Dima Rifai (libanista) | Arabic | 983
- | aafeng | Chinese Simplified | 768
- | Anouar Talidi (Anouar_Talidi) | Arabic | 766
- | Bojan Lazarevski (BoOoX) | Macedonian | 743
- | lolypop000 | Slovenian | 620
- | Ardis Markss (ardis.markss) | Latvian | 497
Congrats, and welcome to our new top contributors!
Remember, you can see who’s been contributing to our translation project thanks to the Translators page.
Fully translated languages
At the end of December 2018, PrestaShop 1.6.1 was fully available (= 100% translated and validated) in 29 languages:
| Bulgarian | Catalan | Croatian | Czech | | Dutch | English | Estonian | French | | French, Canada | German | Greek | Italian | | Latvian | Lithuanian | Macedonian | Norwegian | | Persian | Polish | Portuguese | Portuguese, Brazil | | Romanian | Russian | Slovak | Slovene | | Spanish | Swedish | Turkish | Ukrainian | | Vietnamese |
For its part, PrestaShop 1.7.5 was fully available in 22 languages!
| Bosnian | Bulgarian | Croatian | Czech | | English | French | French, Canada | German | | Greek | Indonesian | Italian | Latvian | | Lithuanian | Macedonian | Persian | Portuguese, Brazil | | Romanian | Russian | Slovak | Slovene | | Spanish | Ukrainian |
Languages with the best evolution
In comparison with November 2018, the following languages had the best progress thanks to the translation community:
- Portuguese (Brazil) (+23% to reach 100% approved in 1.7)
- Arabic (+14% to reach 99% translated in 1.7)
- Korean (+5% to reach 91% approved in 1.7)
Thanks to all the contributors!
Of course, this is highlighting the languages that made some progress with new translations; but it doesn’t mean that the languages that aren’t mentioned here aren’t active. Indeed, some editing and rewriting could be going on, but the percentage of translation wouldn’t be modified (since it’s working on strings that are already translated). So let’s not forget about the work of these proofreaders! Thank you too!
Languages that need (more) proofreaders
A translated string will not be available in PrestaShop as long as it is not validated. For this reason, it’s important we should keep a good level of validated strings vs. translated strings, to make sure everyone benefits from the latest translations!
At the end of December 2018, some languages would still benefit from some proofreading:
- Galician (100% translated vs 62% validated in 1.7).
- Spanish, Venezuela (53% vs 17% in 1.6).
- Chinese Simplified (100% vs 71% in 1.7).
- Tagalog (52% vs 24% in 1.6).
- Arabic (98% vs 73% in 1.6).
If you wish to help to proofread what has been translated, please contact us with the language you’d like to proofread: just send an email to [email protected]. We need your help!
If you haven’t joined us on Crowdin yet, it’s never too late!
If you want to gather your fellow translators to work towards a better harmonization, start a glossary, or anything else, do let us know: we’ll include a word about it in the next monthly report.
Do you have a question, a remark? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment. See you next month!