Do you speak PrestaShop? – August 2017 edition
Where you'll learn that 1.7 is fully translated in 17 languages
Contributing to PrestaShop is not only about the code, it’s also about taking part in the PrestaShop translation project! This report tells you how the translations of the software evolved in August.
Get ready for version 126.96.36.199
We’re currently working on version 1.7.3, which is planned for October. That means an update of the content source on Crowdin, and possibly new strings to be translated in October. We’ll let you know when it’s ready for you to translate!
There are some translations for version 1.6 awaiting validation. While we don’t have enough proofreaders to validate all this content, we’ve decided to automatically validate what’s left in 1.6. That way all the translations for 1.6 will be available in the software. If there are mistakes in this content, making it available in the software will probably help bring more translators and proofreaders to the project - at least that’s what we hope ;) And if you’re interested in proofreading PrestaShop translations, do get in touch with us!
A few stats
- 36 members were active on the project this month.
- A total of 65,570 words have been translated and 71,652 validated.
- All this in 24 different languages.
Thank you for your involvement!
A lot of you are working every day on Crowdin to have PrestaShop available in many languages, and we can’t thank you enough for your dedication! Here are the most active translators and proofreaders for August 2017.
Top 10 translators in August:
- | Jesús Ruiz (jruiz) | Spanish | 3,876
- | SeongHyeon Cho (jaymz9634) | Korean | 3,300
- | Yuji Sugimoto (bm-sugi) | Japanese | 2,058
- | Yosef Esses Cohen (ppesses) | Spanish, Mexico | 1,789
- | Monika (monikaraciunaite) | Lithuanian | 1,193
- | amzsteven | Thai | 1,170
- | MARK-APP | Dutch | 973
- | Stamatis (breezer) | Greek | 848
- | Nicolas Zampieri (nickzampieri) | French, Canada | 629
- | Daniel Valente (dgv) | Portuguese, Brazil | 581
Top 10 proofreaders in August:
- | Jesús Ruiz (jruiz) | Spanish | 3,920
- | Yuji Sugimoto (bm-sugi) | Japanese | 1,759
- | Monika (monikaraciunaite) | Lithuanian | 1,236
- | Stamatis (breezer) | Greek | 1,231
- | LyoNick | Hebrew | 971
- | Daniel Valente (dgv) | Portuguese, Brazil | 811
- | AmirRzd | Persian | 633
- | Cha (cafetango) | Chinese, Traditional | 527
- | contiru | XXX | 373
- | SeongHyeon Cho (jaymz9634) | Korean | 227
Congrats, and welcome to our new top contributors!
Remember, you can see who’s been contributing to our translation project thanks to the Translators page.
Fully translated languages
At the end of August 2017, PrestaShop 1.6.1 was fully available (= 100% translated and validated) in 17 languages:
| Bulgarian | Croatian | Danish | English | | French | French, Canada | German | Greek | | Italian | Norwegian | Polish | Russian | | Slovak | Slovene | Spanish | Swedish | | Turkish |
For its part, PrestaShop 1.7.2 was fully available in 15 languages!
| Croatian | Danish | English | French | | Greek | Italian | Lithuanian | Romanian | | Russian | Slovak | Slovene | Swedish | | Spanish | Turkish | Ukrainian |
Languages with the best evolution
In comparison with July 2017, the following languages had the best progress thanks to the translation community:
- Korean (+14% to reach 37% translated in 1.7)
- Japanese (+5% to reach 89% translated in 1.7)
- Spanish, Mexico (+3% to reach 52% translated in 1.7)
- Lithuanian (+3% to reach 100% translated in 1.7)
Thanks to all the contributors!
Of course, this is highlighting the languages that made some progress with new translations; but it doesn’t mean that the languages that aren’t mentioned here aren’t active. Indeed, some editing and rewriting could be going on, but the percentage of translation wouldn’t be modified (since it’s working on strings that are already translated). So let’s not forget about the work of these proofreaders! Thank you too!
Languages that need (more) proofreaders
A translated string will not be available in PrestaShop as long as it is not validated. For this reason, it’s important we should keep a good level of validated strings vs. translated strings, to make sure everyone benefits from the latest translations!
The list has quite evolved over the last few months, meaning that a lot of proofreading took place. It’s great!
At the end of August 2017, some languages would still benefit from some proofreading:
- Arabic (53% translated vs 19% validated in 1.7).
- Korean (37% vs 9% in 1.7).
- Portuguese, Brazil (100% vs 79% in 1.7 - there’s been a huge progress, keep up the good work!).
- Spanish, Mexico (52% vs 32% in 1.7).
- Galician (66% vs 47% in 1.7).
If you wish to help to proofread what has been translated, please contact us with the language you’d like to proofread. We need your help!
If you haven’t joined us on Crowdin yet, it’s never too late!
If you want to gather your fellow translators to work towards a better harmonization, start a glossary, or anything else, do let us know: we’ll include a word about it in the next monthly report.
Do you have a question, a remark? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment. See you next month!